Tuesday 29 November 2016

Research into digipacks 

We started thinking about music campaign (CD digipack and website) for our artist. At the beginning we brainstormed different concepts that we want to include in our digipack. However I did some research on music campaigns of other artists from the same genre of music, which is electronic/ house. 

Flume 

The first artist that came to my mind was Flume, personally I really like the appearance of album covers and website. 





The simple design fits the concept that we would like to follow. 
The artist that we are using is organic therefore we want to keep everything in similar colour scheme and have a image or a pattern as a background. 
Flume's music campaign is a style that we would aim for. The album covers are quite alternative, creative and original. There is a lot of digital editing included. What we were discussing in a group was the fact that we would like to have a mix of our work and Photoshop so we don't rely on Photoshop fully, since we want to imply that our artist is organic. 
There is not much writing on Flume's album covers, which I think works quite well because it does not drag the attention away from the rest of the appearance however it contains the most important information. 

Moby 


The next artist that I looked at was Moby. I did a lot of research on his work, since one of my music video ideas was for his song. I picked this artist since his album covers are very simple but intriguing. Most of his albums have a photograph in the front. They don't have contrasting colours and there is not much action captured, which again I think works pretty well since it makes the viewer interested in this album, that he/she wants to find out more. As well as Flume's design, Moby doesn't use a lot of text or any flashy fonts - there is only the name of the artist and album. This kind of design shows that the artist is organic and put more emphasis on his work rather than the visual aspects. Personally I think even though there is not much aspects they are still working really well - they are dragging my attention with their simplicity.


A-Trak 





A - Trak is the next artist from the same genre that I found sometime ago. His designs of album covers are a bit more dynamic and complex in comparison to Flume and Moby. However, what I liked in his album covers is some kind of dissolve concept, which adds confusion and distortion to the design. As well as two other artists that I researched, A - Trak only has the name of the artist and the name of the album on the cover however he is using much more vivid and bigger font, which really grabs attentions viewers attention. 


The Lumineers 

As a last source I choose the band from indie genre. They are one of my favourite bands. They only released two albums by now. The first album contains a photograph, which looks like an old picture with some filters on. I think the picture intrigues audiences and make them question the meaning of the photograph, which I think is a nice technique of using photographs in the album design since they are not revealing a lot. Besides the picture on a black background there is white simple font introducing the artist, which is also the name of the album. This album cover implies that the band is quite organic and quite simple. The next album cover is a bit different since the picture is on a full cover and it is black & white. Additionally it is linked to the name of the album. However it is using similar font. 










No comments:

Post a Comment