Thursday 3 November 2016

Roles during the Shoot

There are five main jobs that are needed to be taken care of while shooting. There is a director, camera operator, art director, producer, sound playback and lighting desk. There is only three of us in the group but we will switch the jobs and share the responsibility of the rest ones. 

Director 

film director is a person who directs the making of a film - in our case it is a music video! It is the main person on the set that makes sure that the shoot is run fast and smooth by guiding the technical crew and actors. The director has a vision of how the shots and framing should look like and therefore directs everyone to achieve this vision. 

I think every person in our group would feel safe to take the role of the director. Since September we all have been brain storming and discussing the concept of our music video. 
Throughout these few months of polishing our idea I think as well as me, Teddy and Angelina are pretty sure and confident with how the shots should look like or whats the general vision of the video. 

However, looking at three sets that we have I assume that each of us is going to direct one of the sets. Personally I would feel most confident in directing one of the scenes in the padded room - the one with the DJ or Hanging man. 

Camera Operator 

Camera operator also called Cameraman is responsible for operating the camera and recording the footage. The job is to apply the director's vision when it comes to the shots, framing and angles. He or she need to follow the orders from the director and be take care of the visual aspect of the clip - if the shots and composition are correct, but also cooperate with director of photography and the rest of the crew to communicate any errors or to discuss the shot. 

Personally I am not fully confident when it comes to that job. Operating the camera is not an easy thing for me to do. I think that I do not have enough experience to feel fluent in shooting the clip.

The Art Director 

Art Director is focused on the full appearance of the shots. He/she is making decisions about the visual elements used in the shots. The art director is taking care of the continuity in shots that everything matches together and there is a good flow. The art director is focused on the movement/placement of different props and objects and makes sure that everything goes to its primary positions so later on - during the editing process it is easier to make the shots come together so the fluency is correct. 

On the day of shoot I would feel confident in that job, I am able to pay attention to details and I would like to take care of the visual aspects in our music video since I have some experience with this kind of job since I do photography and this is one of the main aspects in my projects, which concentrates on fashion and beauty. 

Producer 

The producer has an important role that focuses on the production of the whole movie. The producer is responsible for arranging everything from managing the budget, looking for crew, sorting out the equipment, making a general schedule for the shooting, working on the set designs and scripts. 


Playing a role of producer is not for such a big scale in our music video production. I think in our case the job is really similar to the role of the director, therefore each of the group members could do the job. Everyone is well prepared when it comes to the flow of the shoot and what we are supposed to do. In my opinion we should switch the job so at different scene someone else is making sure that everything goes smooth, that there is a general concentration and 'peace' on the set and that everyone from the crew knows what to do and where to be. 

I would feel confident in the role of the producer, since I enjoy making sure that everything is working and organise a lot of aspects on set. I have some experience with that kind of job, since multiple times I was chosen as a producer for my filmmaking process in MET film school. 





Sound Playback and Lighting Desk 

People responsible for light and sound are making sure that the lighting is right with the requirements, it is also taking care of the general appearance of the shot. Sound crew is responsible for the quality of the sound, in our case the sound is one of the most important aspects, since we rely on a good lip sync and the sound in general. 

I would like to be responsible for the lighting in the padded room while we are shooting the DJ, because we decided on strobe and colorful lights and I think it would be a good new experience since it also will add more artists and visual aspect to the video, which I am interested in. 




No comments:

Post a Comment